How do you take your porridge?

Porridge currents, brown sugar, milk

One of my great childhood memories were our Saturday porridge mornings. It was Dad’s thing. Every Saturday morning he’d make porridge. Generally he’d prepare and cook it, then head out to buy the paper, and on his return it would be the perfect sloppy consistency, ready to be rewarmed and served.

I’ve since discovered there’s heaps of stuff you can put in porridge, but back then, there was only one way – with sultanas, brown sugar and milk. If we were really lucky, there was cream in the fridge, and a dollop added a little bit of heaven to the morning.

I rebelled in my later years and began adding currents instead of sultanas (crazy, I know), but since moving to Austria, the land without brown sugar and currents (at least in obvious places), I had to adapt. So here’s what I do now:

Porridge blueberries coconut

Blueberries, coconut & greek yogurt: I actually stole this one from a friend who served it for me one year in Oz. You can use fresh or frozen blueberries, and I cook them up a bit with the oats until they warm and pop just a little. The coconut adds some tasty grit and the yogurt gives it a creamy flair. I also do a version of this with frozen strawberries.

Banana & honey: Delish. Again, you can use a frozen banana if you have one, or in general the older the banana the better. Cut it up into the porridge as you’re cooking and add honey afterwards to taste.

Apple, sultana & cinnamon: Basically this is apple strudel as porridge. I find it better to have the apple pre-cooked, though you don’t have to, and then simply add sultanas and cinnamon to taste.

When I went back to Oz in March this year I couldn’t wait for Saturday morning porridge, and yes, Dad still makes it just the same as he always did. And since there was often cream in the house I went back to my old favourite of currents, brown sugar, milk and a dollop of cream!

Are you a fan of porridge? How do you take yours?

10 thoughts on “How do you take your porridge?

1. Lingo in Transit September 5, 2022 / 3:31 am

I do like porridge in winter! I usually have them with prunes or dates cut up and added to warm it, cinnamon, milk and then walnuts on top. In the summer, I would blend frozen berries, milk and yogurt and then eat that with the oats. Since moving to South Korea, oats have proven to be so hard to find at supermarkets. Might have to do an online order.

• debbiekaye1980 September 7, 2022 / 10:20 am

Never thought of prunes or dates – I must branch out! And walnuts too, great idea. Shame you can’t get oats in South Korea. It seems like such a staple for me! But I guess you can’t get everything everywhere. How cold is a South Korean winter? I have no idea!

• Lingo in Transit September 8, 2022 / 12:14 am

I’ve gone through stages of trying to increase my nut intake and this helped! In the eastern world, it’s not so much of a staple! It will be snow covered and I’ve been warned there are Siberian winds that come over making it colder than it seems. I’ll find out soon enough!

• debbiekaye1980 September 8, 2022 / 2:23 pm

Oooh Siberian winds don’t sound nice at all. We get weather/wind from Russia sometimes and that means it’s going to get cold! Rug up!

2. Monch Weller September 5, 2022 / 3:36 am

Sometimes, we add cocoa powder while the oats cook. The finished porridge then gets a nice addition of two milks — whole milk and condensed milk, the latter for sweetness.

• debbiekaye1980 September 7, 2022 / 10:19 am

Interesting! That sounds like a great winter morning sweet treat!

• Monch Weller September 7, 2022 / 2:00 pm

Good for any time of the day, too! But it’s always best for breakfast.

3. Landious Travel October 16, 2022 / 1:25 pm

The porridge looks delicious. I haven’t tried it before.