I’ve been unemployed for over one year. I guess that might depress some people, it might make others go crazy, but I think it suits me.
One of the most frequent questions I get asked is: but what do you do all day?
Whatever I want.
I love my life.
That being said, I’m not the kind of person that can sit around and be idle. I must be doing something… all the time. It took me a month or two to get into a groove when I first arrived but then I made myself a schedule and now more often than not I complain that I don’t have enough time.
So my standard day goes something like this:
- 7am: get up
Yes, I know it’s early. I’m a morning person and I’ve also had sleeping problems in the past which means that I have to go with when my body wants to wake up. To be fair, occasionally I stay in bed till 7:30 – naughty!
- 7-9:30am: generally this is the time I do some writing. Having entire days available means I can devote some time to this. I also have breakfast and tidy up a bit, put on washing, empty dishwasher etc etc
- 9:30-11:30am: German study
- 11:30-12:30: exercise
- 12:30-2pm: lunch, showering, odd bits and pieces around the house that have to be done
- 2pm: dog walking – usually I do this 2-3 times a week, depending on what else is going on
- 3:30-4:30: I have an extra hour before Thomas gets home which I generally use to either finish something from earlier that hasn’t been done, go to the shops if I need to, write emails, Skype friends etc etc.
While I’m more than ready to get a job, I’m pretty happy for the time being. I’m doing whatever needs doing and whatever I like doing and also, my music library is very well organised.
One thought on “Unemployment – living the good life”